It has been a while since I've given you an update on Cade's health, so I thought I would fill you in on how he has been doing. After undergoing lots of tests, and finding out that Cade does have reflux (and it is not due to allergies or lactose intolerance), his pediatrician decided to try treating the reflux again with Prevacid. Prevacid is supposed to help control the reflux, and help heal the esophagus lining that has been damaged by all the reflux, so it seemed like a good thing to try. We started Cade on the Prevacid, and didn't notice any difference in frequency of reflux (he was having reflux so severe, he'd have spit up come up into his mouth up to eight times a day). So we doubled the dose of Prevacid, and still didn't see much difference. After about 3 weeks on the Prevacid with not much change, we took a break, and right away, the reflux stopped. He's been off the Prevacid since the beginning of July, and he has only had reflux maybe two or three times in the past two months (which is huge, considering he used to have reflux 4-8 times a day before). What is weird is that last year, when we first went to the doctor about his reflux, she put him on Prevacid right away, and since it didn't help while he was on the meds, I assumed it wasn't doing any good. So I did research, and that's when I thought he must be lactose intolerant, and when we stopped the Prevacid last year, we started treating lactose intolerance, and he stopped having reflux, so I thought it was because he was lactose intolerant. But now I realize that he stopped having reflux because of the Prevacid. I don't know why it doesn't seem to help him while he's on it, but I'm really glad that it does seem to help once he stops taking it. I'm assuming that the problem will return over time, but hopefully now that we know what the problem is, and how to treat it, it will be a lot more manageable. Cade is very glad that for now the reflux is under control. He is a trooper, and he accepts his health problems with grace. Now we need to get his teeth figured out. We took him to an orthodontist, who said that he needs phase 1 braces right away, and needs to have his extra tooth and another tooth pulled. YIKES! I'm thinking I should get a second opinion. Anyone know a good orthodontist?
2 comments:
STOP!!! Get a second opinion on the Orthodontist. I worked as an orthodontic assistant for over 8 years. If he has extra teeth (more than 2 sets of one type of tooth) then that is normal to pull. Anything other than that should be a LAST resort. It will cause the palate to narrow and you won't have as broad of smile. Dentists who think they are orthodontists often recommend pulling teeth. I did a phase I treatment with Logan because of an anterior cross bite. We went to Dr. Young off of Baseline and Val Vista in the Costa Vida shopping center. He is really affordable, very conservative and knows his stuff. He was my third opinion! He also did Lynae Shurtz. I couldn't find one who knew there stuff well enough for me to be comfortable and they didn't know that I knew my stuff. Let me know if you have any other questions. Sorry this is a novel.
It's amazing how some medicines react with kids. I'm glad to hear that Cade's reflux is better even if it is for the time being! Good luck with the orthodontist!
Post a Comment