Friday, August 7, 2009

Wicked Awesome!

We went to see Wicked a few weeks ago at Gammage, and it was wicked awesome!!! I loved it so much when I saw it with my sister in New York last summer, that I couldn't wait to take Chuck with me to see it again when it came here to AZ. My good friend, Sara, got us a smokin' group deal on tickets, so we took Carson with us, and we got to watch it with lots of friends! We opted for the really cheap balcony seats (still a good view--except for when Elphaba is flying, or people are walking on the bridge). We offered to take Charlie with us, but he wasn't interested (even though he really likes the song "Popular" from the soundtrack that I listen to over and over). So it was a fun chance for us to take Carson on a date and spend some time with him. Here we are before the show. Shanie, Colleen, and I posed for a picture with the official poster.
I know it is a totally blurry shot, but here's the stage scene before the play begins.
The Griners and the Halls sat next to us in the balcony.

Carson enjoyed the play, but got a little bit restless in the second half. My favorite songs are all in the first half of the play, so those are the songs he's heard the most and was most familiar with. I think he liked it a lot overall, but maybe not as much as he enjoyed "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" that we saw the day after we saw WICKED. :)
I had to cut myself out of this shot, because it was an up-the-nose, double chin shot, but it's such a cute picture of Chuck, I had to throw it in. Chuck is a good sport to take me to musicals, and he tries to enjoy the things that I enjoy. He liked Wicked a lot, and thought it was a really good story.

A few people have asked me how the traveling performance compared with the New York version. Both were really good. In New York, Galinda was not quite as funny or vivacious as she was at Gammage. At this performance, Galinda really stole the show. It made the show funnier, but I think it took away from Elphaba's character a little bit to have Galinda overshadow her so much. Overall, both performances were great, and I would definitely love to see Wicked again (and again)!

2 comments:

Mrs.EBG said...

How fun!! I've heard so many rave reviews of the show, and love hearing your perspective, too! Totally jealous you got to see it!! ;)

hcrjfrandall said...

Sooo jealous! I have always wanted to see that one! I bet it was awesome!