Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What is an "A" worth?

     I am now a couple of weeks into school and my internship.  The first two weeks of the internship were really busy because I had training every single day (general training that all employees of the organization must attend--nothing specific to counseling).  I can see that there is going to be  A LOT of paperwork involved in everything I do at my internship!  I haven't started counseling at all yet.  I'm trying to get my first appointments set up, and still trying to decide my schedule and location.  I think I am going to spend one day a week at Mountain Heights Academy--a school in AJ for kids that haven't been successful in traditional schools.  I would be doing group and individual counseling with kids in grades 1-8.  Then I will be at Mountain Health and Wellness's main building two days a week doing traditional counseling in an office setting with a variety of ages and issues.  I feel a little rusty on my counseling skills--I haven't been counseling anyone for 9 months now.  I hope the skills and previous experience/knowledge I gained will come right back to me once I get into the swing of things. 
     I still feel a little overwhelmed at how busy I am right now.  My Multicultural class has SOOOO much busy work--it is frustrating because I really don't have time for it!  We have to write a two page summary on 15 chapters of the book for a "B", and if we want an "A" we have to write an additional 10 summaries (whic means reading an additional 10 chapters), plus view 4 films with a multicultural theme, and write a 2 page summary of each.  On one hand, I feel like it is a no-brainer that I need to do less busy work and just be happy with the B.  But on the other hand, this is my last course (besides internship class) that I have to take in the program, and so far, I have a 4.0.  So I am THIS close to graduating with a 4.0. and I hate to give that up now, just because I am busy and this professor is making it so difficult to get an A.  How much does having a 4.0 matter?  It doesn't matter at all to grad schools (if I ever decide to get my PhD).  It won't matter one bit to my future employers.  It really and truly does not matter at all except that I hate the idea of getting a B, and I have worked so hard this far to maintain a 4.0.  I guess I need to just get busy with my work, and see what I can do.  If I have the time and energy in me to do the work for an A, I will.  If not, I will force myself to get over it!!!
     Everyone who has asked me lately how school is going has gotten some negative, whiny answer about how it is hard, and I am tired of it.  I have decided that I need to try really hard to have a better attitude about school.  I have been feeling like it is a burden and a stressor in my life, but I need to appreciate that I am able to go to school, and I love learning, and I need to choose to be happy.  It's only 9 more months, and then I will be done!  I know many people would love to be able to go back to school, and I need to be happy that I have this opportunity.  I was blessed (and lucky) to get accepted into this really great program at a good school, and I need to be thankful instead of grumbling about it.  It is busy and stressful, but there are a lot of worse trials that I could be going through that are busy and stressful.  So I need to adjust my perspective, and adopt an attitude of gratitude.   I need to have faith that the Lord would not have given me this calling if I couldn't do it.  He wouldn't have given me this calling if it was going to be harmful to my children.  I have to have faith that whatever my kids experience as a result of me being in school is going to help them to learn and grow in some way.  When I was playing dolls with Cheyanna the other night, she had a class of barbies going to college.  One of the college girls was married with kids, and for some reason, it made me happy that she knows that girls and women of all ages can go to college, and that getting an education is a good thing no matter how old you are, or what is going on in your life.  So the next few people who ask me how school is going are going to get a smile and a positive response about how I am blessed to be able to be learning and growing, and setting a good example for my kids.  :) 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always love reading your posts...

Smith Family said...

We are so alike. I hated my first A-. Grumbled for the entire next semester. And then I thought, "This is ridiculous! Only my ego needs an A. And really, just getting through grad school with four kids is pretty amazing." Brandon and I always used to tell each other, "C's get degrees!" At this point in time, it is no reflection of your intelligence, but rather your life stage.

Stacy said...

I hear you. I had a 3.8 going into last semester and then I had to really rethink the stress that it was giving me. I'm not going on with my formal education so I'm wondering why I am so worried about it. When I let it go, I felt much better. Whatever you decide to do, you'll be just fine. 9 months is so close, you have a little bit of senior-itis (or whatever they call it when you are that close in your graduate program) just like me. Good luck!!