I can hardly believe that Charlie is a teenager now! He turned 13 on March 6, and that seems impossible. I remember so clearly being pregnant with him. The last couple of weeks before his birth, Chuck and I walked around our apartment complex every night hoping to get labor going because I was so uncomfortable with such a big baby in there! I remember pacing up and down the walkway in front of our apartment trying to keep him calm when he was a fussy 3 week old. It seems like yesterday that he was a toddler, getting into everything--making messes all over the house. Then I blinked and now he's a teenager, and he's listening to his iPod, e-mailing his friends, tormenting his siblings, and telling me NO and WHY whenever I ask him to do something. :) Charlie is 5'9" tall now, and he wears size 13 shoes. He's still a great kid, and love him so much. I am so proud of all the good things he does, and of the young man he is.
It is a weird feeling to have a child that is taller than me. Looking up into his eyes--especially when I'm scolding him--is kinda crazy. I feel like I didn't sign up for this--teenager years. I wanted a cute little newborn. But they don't stay newborn, so what can you do? You adapt, so that's what I'm working on. I hate that I'm not all-powerful and all-wonderful anymore in his eyes. I hate that I can't pick him up and hold him anymore. But I can give him hugs, and I can give him advice, and I can talk to him every day and ask him about his life, and try to figure out how to be a parent of a teenager. I'm so scared for the challenges ahead, but I know I gotta just love each day and be so thankful that I have been blessed with this amazing child. I love being his mother, and if it means being the mother of a teenager--I'll take it.

4 comments:
They grow up too fast don't they? I miss my kids being little. Happy b-day Charlie!!
It's hard to see them get older, but it's also neat to see what great young men and women they become! You are such a great mom with great kids!
I hope you love the teenage years as much as me. I might be a bad mom when I say that I like my teenagers more than my little ones sometimes. I love that we like the same things now and have so much more in common. Temper tantrums are a thing of the past and I just love it.
Where has the time gone?! I am also terrified for teenagers. I swear Bai is 10 going on 16 already. EEK!
Post a Comment