Thursday, June 25, 2009

Oh, What Do You Do in the Summertime?

Long, hot summer days with four kids at home CAN be lots of fun! What do we do all day? I'll tell ya... On hot afternoons, we break out some crafts and games. The kids had lots of fun working on this Lite Brite masterpiece. If they aren't in a creative mood, we put on an afternoon movie or have a Wii session. The kids are way into Mario Kart right now. Cade has been waking up before 6am lately so he can sneak downstairs and have the Wii all to himself until for a little while.
We also have friends over a lot. The kids spend lots of time in the hot tub (we keep it cooler in the summer, so it's refreshing).
June was not nearly as hot as it usually is, so we took advantage of the cool mornings, and spent some of them at the park. We had fun trying badminton.

The younger kids had fun on the playground, while the older boys and I played basketball.





And of course, we LOVED getting free donuts at Krispy Kreme. I found out through a friend's blog that Krispy Kreme gives out a free donut for every A on the kids' report cards (thank you Crissie!). We'll be taking advantage of that offer more often, now that we know about it. What a sweet deal!
We've also been reading a lot. The kids have been doing the summer reading program at the library, so they look forward to reading so that they can get their prizes. I've been reading "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" with Charlie and Carson. We're aiming to finish it by July 15, when the movie opens in theaters. It is actually fun to get to spend all day with the kids, and I am trying to really enjoy every minute of it, since my life is about to get a whole lot busier when I head back to school Aug 24. It is nice to have the luxury of no deadlines, projects, homework, etc. Did I mention that the boys are all playing basketball too? That's a post for a different day!

2 comments:

Crissie said...

Oh, the good ole lite brite. I had one as a kid and loved it, so when Cassie was younger I got her one. The kids rarely use it. :(

I'm glad you made the trip to Krispy Kreme. I'm so happy that they now let you choose which donuts you want rather than just glazed. Yummy!!

Karen said...

I love the Lite Brite! Bai used to have one, but I think it got misplaced in one of our moves. Thanks for reminding me about it...I may have to go get another one. Have a great summer!!! Sounds like it will be the calm before your storm. =)