Sunday, June 7, 2009

School's End

Here are Carson and some of his buddies sporting their medals for being on the top honor roll all year. Carson also got an award for behaving on the bus, a "class clown" award, and he won some great prizes--like a free dinner at Golden Corral. Since Carson will be starting at the Academy this Fall, this was a final goodbye to all his good friends that he's been with since kindergarten. I thought he'd have some hesitation to leave all that is familiar to head to a new school and the unknown, but he's very excited for the change. I really hope he likes the Academy as much as Charlie does! Here is Tyson, Carson, Dorian, Kameron, and James. Goodbye 4th grade--hello to 5th grade at the Academy this fall!

Cade did so great in first grade! His penmanship was sadly lacking at the beginning of the year, and I could not even believe the improvement in his student journal from the beginning of the year to the end of first grade. His penmanship, spelling, concentration, and fluency have all improved a ton! Cade is an excellent little student, and he also got a medal for being on the top honor roll all year long, and an award for behaving well on the bus.
Here is Cade with his best friend, Hunter.
This school year seemed to fly by. I can't believe that next year, all four kids will be in school all day! I have to say that I am so thankful that our children have such a great opportunity to get a good education. When you think about all the generations of people that have lived on the earth, it has only been a very few generations that have had access to so much education. My grandfather had to quit school when he was 14 because both his parents had died, and he needed to work to help care for his younger siblings. Two generations before that, my mom has found some ancestors that didn't even know how to read and write. It is a huge blessing that we are born in a time when we can pretty much obtain as much education as we want to. Our kids have unlimited potential (and so do we!)

No comments: