Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Attacked!

This is how Charlie's face looked when he came home from school after being attacked by a fellow sixth grade student a couple of weeks ago. A group of kids were tossing a girl's hat around, and when Charlie picked the hat up off the ground, she lunged and him, and scratched the heck out of his face. The girl ended up in the Principal's office. Her mom even called to apologize. It is really frustrating to see your kids get hurt, or treated unfairly. Fortunately, Charlie has learned that when you are unfairly attacked, it is better to walk away than to try to retaliate. He has had a few conflicts with kids at school this year, and I guess that is a normal part of growing up. He loves to play sports, and he is pretty competitive, and I think a lot of the conflicts stem from sports at structured activity time. If he can learn from those experiences, and incorporate lessons learned into his core value system for the rest of his life, he'll be so much better off. I think it is human nature to strike back when you are hurt or offended. But Jesus taught that it is better to turn away, and when you get a chance to experiment with his teachings and apply them, you see that it really is the better way to handle things. Charlie is so much bigger and stronger than a lot of his classmates, that if he hits or pushes back, the other kid gets a lot more hurt that he does, and he ends up in the most trouble. When he has walked away, he has avoided getting into trouble himself, and most of the time, that is the end of the conflict. A lot of time, it doesn't feel fair, but in the end, when you take the higher road, you are happier. That is my two cents about the issue, and here is documentation of his injuries for when we press charges, and sue her family for damages (just kidding!)

4 comments:

Loree said...

poor Charlie :( i am sorry he was attacked. i bet it was hard for him to walk away. well it would be for me. what a good boy you have. sorry this happened. life is hard sometimes!

Sarah S. said...

Aaron and I were just talking about this very thing. The taller, bigger kids are always the targets for a fight. I guess it's the smaller kids quest to defeat the giant so to say.

We told Logan that if he ever STARTED a fight that he would be in huge trouble at home. His life will be miserable because we as his parents will make it that way. But if he is defending himself it is totally a different story and he won't get in trouble from mom and dad. Maybe I'm a bad parent to say this but he's the type that would just take a beating because fighting is the wrong thing to do and then be emotionally scarred for life. He needs the go ahead from mom and dad to stick up for himself if ever attacked.

Cherene said...

Sarah, yes--it's totally true that the bigger kids are targets! Who would've thought? I understand that not everyone has the same philosophy as I do about fighting back, but I think a lot of it depends on the child involved too. If Charlie had free reign to retaliate and fight back (permission from us), he would've been suspended by now. Seriously. The principal doesn't care as much about who started it as he does about who is hurt the worst. But Logan is obviously a different case, so we parents all do what we think is best for our kids, and that's what matters. I still think you are a top-notch mom!!! :)

Karen said...

Look at poor Charlie's face. I am SO sorry for him. Poor guy - but he is a good boy to be able to walk away. Most kids at this age are unable to control their anger and it usually gets the best of them. But good for him!