If Simon Cowell were here, I have a feeling he would say that this post is "completely self-indulgent." But I have some thoughts I want to share, and it's my blog after all, so here I go...I'm about half-way through with my Master of Counseling program. Here's what has been sacrificed so far: about $20,000 in tuition, parking, and books; countless hours spent attending classes, reading textbooks, writing papers, taking tests, and completing projects. And, most difficult of all, I had to sacrifice some time with my kids in order to accomplish all that. NOW, here's what I've gained so far...1) Knowledge. A lot of knowledge. I've learned a lot about ethics, data analysis, theories, psychological disorders, group therapy, career counseling, psychological tests, and the counseling process itself. I have memorized (and somewhat forgotten) a lot of court cases that involved counselors, a lot of formulas for interpreting data, and a lot of details about specific psychological theories. But I've also gained...2) Friends. Good friends who I have opened up to about stuff I've never talked to anyone about before (besides Chuck). Friends that I know I can trust, and friends that I have grown to love. Here's a picture of some good friends that I had a class with last semester.
I've also gained...3) Personal Growth. It is impossible to go through a program like this without growing a lot as a person. I feel like I started this program with a very vague idea of who I am. Now I am amazed at how much I have grown, and changed, and discovered about myself in the past year. Now I know who I am. 4) Confidence. It makes me sad to realize that after 12 years of being a full-time mom, I felt unimportant, not very smart, and not very interesting or worthwhile. I wish it hadn't taken a master's program for me to realize that I am smart. I am worthwhile. I know being a mom is the most important, most worthwhile job there is, and I am so thankful that I have the blessing of being a mother. I just wish that I could've felt more confident as a person when I was "just a mom". And finally 5) I have gained a sense that I am doing what I need to be doing right now. I know that I am on the right track. It is difficult for me to be away from my kids when I have an evening class. I sometimes feel like me being in school may be making their lives more challenging. But I know without a doubt that I am doing the right thing for me and my family right now by being in school. So I am thankful for the assurances I have felt through the spirit that this is my calling in life right now, and that my family will be blessed and watched over in my absence. I don't know why I need to be in school right now while my kids are so young, but I do know that it is the right thing for me and my family, and that helps. And it helps that I love what I am learning and doing. I have a feeling that this next year (practicum and internship) will bring a lot more sacrifices, and a lot more gains. I am up for it. Bring it on.

4 comments:
Cherene,
Well, I've known that you were smart, important, and worthwhile since before we were married. I am glad we are in agreement now.
Chuck
what a nice post cherene! you are a great person and what a good example you are to me and the rest of us! your hard work will pay off! pat yourself on the back girl! you ROCK!
Thanks for sharing this. I admire you so much, Cherene. And, I haven't known you as long - but I have ALWAYS thought of you as smart, interesting, fun and great at everything you do!!
What an insightful post! It's nice to reflect on the many things that you're gaining in addition to knowledge. I keep telling myself that if I'm doing the right thing (and I know that I am) everything will be ok, including my children. I'm so glad I met you through this program and that we're in it together!
Post a Comment