Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cade's Creative Writing Award

Cade wrote a really cute story about the day he broke his leg, and he won a Creative Writing Award for it. He was a finalist in his school's Creative Writing Contest. He was really excited to get an award, and get to go up on stage to receive his award and get his picture taken, and he would've been so happy with that--except that when they later announced the overall winners, the second place winner was Cade....Thompson. What disappointment! In that second when they said Cade, we looked at each other in disbelief, then when they said his last name, it was such a huge disappointment. We both thought it was him for a second, and he was really bummed to have his hopes raised and then dashed so quickly. So instead of walking away from the ceremony just thrilled for being a finalist, he walked away so disappointed that it was "almost" him that had won second place. I still got this cute smile out of him afterwards. I won't put the whole story in here, but here is my favorite excerpt from the story he wrote: [I was hurt so badily (his spelling). I was like my leg! I broke my leg! Then I sat down, "Oh my leg oh my leg."] See how dramatic the story was? He made sure to include important details, like how the doctor told him not to get his cast wet, or it would get stinky. Cade is so funny, and his story just eeked of his cute personality. :)

No comments: