Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Goodbye 4.0

I have finally decided that getting an 'A' in my multicultural class is not worth all the time and effort that is required.  I have been busting my butt to get the 'B' assignments done, and I got to the point where I felt like a zombie who was eating, breathing, and sleeping (well, not so much sleeping) school.  Every free moment I had (which weren't very many to begin with), I was on the computer pounding out papers for my B grade, so that I could start working on the A assignments next.  I was holding out hope that our professor would accept half of the A assignments and give us partial credit, because all I need is an A- to maintain my 4.0.  But last Thurs, he said he won't give any + or - grades.  If you don't complete every A assignment, you get the B.  That was it for me.  I realized that if I started and couldn't finish the A work, it would all be for nothing.  And I realized that life is getting more hectic by the day.  I am running low on direct client contact hours, so instead of working 3 days a week at my internship, I have started working 5 days a week at my internship (and still going to class 2 nights a week, and being a wife, mother, housekeeper, cook, laundress, chauffeur, etc.)  It's just too much.  I haven't been able to go to the gym very much, so I'm feeling anxious and not sleeping well.  Plus, I have had a hard time squeezing in time to go to the temple, and that is always a source of peace for me.  So, the A will have to go.  My mom pointed out that the only thing I need an A for is my pride.  Is it worth it?  No.  It is time to let it go, and accept that I can get less than an A and still be just fine. So now, I'm almost done with the B assignments, and I feel free.  I am still really busy trying to get in all my internship hours, but now, when I'm home, I'm home.  I'm not zoned out, reading my book and typing paper after paper.  And I have been getting up early to go to the gym this week, and sleeping better, and feeling a little more sane.  So I know I made the right decision, and I am OK with getting a B.  Finally. 

2 comments:

Smith Family said...

B's are really good! I remember having the same internal dialogue. Glad you're feeling a little more at peace!
Just an idea for those direct client hours - I worked past the semester and then a few weeks before the new semester began to try to make up hours. Maybe that would work for you? Sorry it's so stressful. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. It feels good when you make the right decision! I hope I didn't put undue pressure on you with my comments about making A's! I think you are courageous and strong to know your limits and make peace with all the things pulling you.