Saturday, July 31, 2010

Another New Calling

Remember how a couple of months ago, I got called to be the Visiting Teaching Coordinator?  Yeah, I love that calling.  So I was worried when I got a call to meet with a member of the Bishopric last Sunday.  I didn't want to give up my great, new calling.  Not to worry though--the calling they had in mind for me will be in addition to my VTC calling.  Phew!  But the new calling is...Nursery Leader.  I'll be teaching the 18 month -3 year old kiddos at church.  Wow.  I thought I had already served my time in nursery.  When Charlie was nursery age, he wouldn't leave my side, so I got called to be the Nursery leader, and then for a few years, that's where I stayed.  When I finally got released, I was ready to walk away and never look back.  But someone's gotta do it, and I've had a lot of years to enjoy going to Relief Society while serving in Cub Scouts, so I guess it's my turn.  :)  But then, after accepting the calling, something happened to change my perspective.  I got a feeling that Heavenly Father will bless me for serving in a calling that, for me, is difficult.  And not just some random, nameless blessing, but THE blessing that I need right now.  The area of my life that has been a huge struggle this summer suddenly seemed a lot more manageable.  In one moment, the feelings I've had for weeks (being overwhelmed, not knowing what to do, and feeling hopeless), disappeared, and I knew that everything was going to be OK.  Such a huge blessing!!  And now I think, "Thank goodness for my nursery calling!"  Sunday afternoon, I told my kids that sometimes you may be asked to accept a calling that you don't want to do, but if you refuse a calling, you are basically telling the Lord, "No, I don't want the blessings you are wanting to give me."  Rejecting a calling means rejecting the specific blessings that the Lord wants to give you.  You may not always know what the blessings are that are coming from your service in your calling, but you can know that when you serve Him, the Lord does bless you.  I'm so thankful for a church that gives me opportunities to serve him and serve others in ways that help me to grow as a person, and that bless my life in so many ways.  And I am thankful for a new calling.  I never thought I would be so happy to be a Nursery Leader. 

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Amen.

Crissie said...

Yay! The kids will be blessed to have a nursery leader like you!

Sarah S. said...

You are too cute Cherene. I can totally relate, and you took the words right out of my mouth. I lately have looked at every calling (whether me or Aaron) as a chance to recieve more blessings. I know if we have the faith that he will bless us with "THAT" blessing that we need or want throught our service to Him.

Smith Family said...

I just spent two years as the Nursery Coordinator and I can tell you that the one in your ward is singing hallelujiah! You will be wonderful. Hopefully you'll come to enjoy it more than you think you will.

Anonymous said...

This is so true, you're such a great example to me Cherene.