Monday, June 14, 2010

Teenage Son

Here's a poem I wrote last week...

Teenage son with long, lanky legs
Trying to find your footing
Like a baby giraffe on wobbly limbs.

Trying to find out who you are
Pushing me away
Sometimes in anger or resentment

I used to be your everything.
No one else could console you.
You would snuggle into my neck,
Holding a lock of my hair
And breathe a sigh of contentment.

There were nights you wouldn't sleep
Unless you were in my arms
And I held you tight
And loved you more than words can say.

Now you glare at me
You're angry and frustrated
And I wish I could gather you up in my arms
And be your everything again. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet! It almost brought me to tears. I feel you sister! It's hard when they used to be your best friend, and LOVED spending time with you and then "switch" goes off and they are a teenager and don't want to have anything to do with you. I COMPLETELY know and understand how you feel, and you said it very well in your poem. Thanks for sharing.

Smith Family said...

I can totally relate to that poem! Excellent, Cherene.

Tamara said...

It's hard to write the comment with tear filled eyes. That was beautifully written, Cherene. No one tells you when your children are infants and your arms ache from holding them so much that in a few short years your arms will ache to be able to hold them again like that. thanks for sharing.