Monday, February 8, 2010

Mindful Eating

One of the great things we've learned about in Group Therapy class is called Mindfulness.   It is kind of hard to explain, but it is basically focusing our energy and attention on the present moment, which helps us disengage from habitual, unsatisfying habits and behaviors.  We did this quick and simple exercise in mindful eating together in our group, and I did the exercise at home with my family at the dinner table, and it is really a good experience.  It helps me to really think about what I am eating and why.  It helps me to appreciate the goodness of food, and to think about where the food came from, and how it got to my table.  It helps me to avoid the mindless eating that is so much a habit for me.  Anyway, just thought I'd share in case you want to try it.  The next time you're about to eat something, first try...

ARRIVING AT THE FOOD: We realize that we are in the presence of food, and that we have careful work ahead.  Before each meal or snack, we take a moment and simply notice the food and consider it.

AWAKENING TO THE FOOD: We notice every aspect of the food itself before, during, and after eating it.

TUNING IN TO THE BODY: We pay attention to our own bodies as we eat.  We notice the movement of the muscles, limbs, fingers, lips, teeth, and tongue.  We tune in to our level of hunger.  We're in touch with need for food and we know when to stop eating. 

That's it.  Simple steps to take, but they can make a huge difference in our enjoyment and appreciation of food, and can help us overcome mindless eating habits.   Sometimes a small change of perspective can make a huge difference.   

5 comments:

Smith Family said...

Interesting! I haven't taken group yet; it sounds like something I'll like.

Loree said...

thanks for sharing cherene! i am gonna give it a try! Hope all is well with you :)

Lindsey L said...

Yeah, I could definitely benefit from practicing this at home!

I need to stop zoning out in front of the TV with a bag of whatever.

Debbie said...

AND with all that mindfulness about the food, you're probably likely to feel full and stop then... thus another good benefit.

Good stuff!

Tamara said...

thanks Cherene, love your posts, love your blog!