This year was the first time I have ever enjoyed a Pinewood Derby. Ever. Every other year, I managed to spend the whole time stressing about the details, the refreshments, and awards. This year, I asked for help making the refreshments...these cute little twinkie and swiss roll cars.
My friend, Karla was really nice to make all of the swiss roll cars, so I just had to make the twinkie cars.
That was a huge help, but other than that, the thing that changed was just my perspective. After surviving a stressful semester of grad school, I realized that Pinewood Derby is not so stressful after all. I can make a choice to run around worrying about all the details, or I can just watch the race, and enjoy the day. I chose to enjoy it. It was fun to watch Carson race his car. His car was pretty middle-of-the-pack this year, but he had a smile on his face the whole time, and I was proud of his ability to enjoy the experience no matter how his car was performing. I probably wouldn't have even noticed that last year (or the year before...)
So Carson had a fun time. Chuck and Carson were able to spend some one on one time together building the car, and we all got to enjoy the race, the awards, and the refreshments. Our Stake runs the Pinewood Derby for all the wards, and they do a great job with decorations, set-up, and organization. Anyway, it was a fun day, and it made me aware that going back to school has changed me and is helping me be a better person in other areas of my life. And I am so proud of Carson. He is such a good kid, and I feel so blessed to be his mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment