Monday, September 19, 2011

Getting into the Groove

My semester is going good so far.  It took me a couple of weeks to adjust to being busy again.  I had so much anxiety about going back to school and starting my internship.  But now that I'm a few weeks into it, I'm feeling much, much better!  I don't know why I go through this every year.  I remember the fall I first started back to school.  Holy cow--I was so anxious and scared.  I literally cried the whole drive to school the first day of classes.  Last year, I was so anxious about starting Practicum and beginning to counsel clients that I finally went to counseling myself to try to get my anxiety under control.  This year, I was so anxious about starting back after my summer break that I kind of had a melt down the weekend before school/internship started.  It was the same weekend Elder Bednar visited our Stake Conference.  Good times.  Anyway, I'm feeling much better now, and I'm getting into the groove.  I have about six client so far, plus the kiddos I do group counseling with at the school.  In two weeks, I am going to be starting group therapy for Bipolar clients.  I am designing the therapy outline myself (with the help of some books and references).  I am really excited about that.  It is weird how much I dread going back to school, but then when I get back into the swing of things, I really love it.  And counseling others is so scary, but once I get going, I feel like it is what I am meant to do, and I really love it.  It is interesting getting a glimpse into the lives and problems of others.  It really makes me feel that we should all be so kind to each other.  Everyone has their challenges.  You never know what someone else may be going through.  My friend, Stacy, shared this link on her blog, and I really, really love it. It is about not judging each other, and it is well worth reading: 
http://bravegirlsclub.com/archives/2151
And don't forget to check out my marriage blog every now and then.  My most recent post was about being kind.  The link is www.makingmarriagemerry.blogspot.com 

3 comments:

Smith Family said...

So glad you are settling in!

Lindsey L said...

I will be very interested to hear what you learn when you start working with bipolar clients. Exciting stuff.

Lindsey L said...

I'm having trouble commenting on the MMM blog, so this is for that one. :)

Cherene, I really enjoy the little nudges and inspiration your blog gives me to improve my relationships. Thank you for your example.