Sunday, June 5, 2011
Days Go By
And kids grow. And time doesn't slow down. I was planning on taking a class this summer (my only required class left before internship), but it was M-Th from 11-1pm. I was really stressed about leaving the kids alone for 3 hours a day, 4 days a week the whole month of June. The weekend before class started, I was feeling so stressed and unhappy about being gone so much, and it hit me--I can just take that class this fall! It is a night class (on Thurs nights) this fall, which I hate, but then I realized Chuck will be home with the kids on Thurs nights, but no one would be home with the kids if I took the class this summer. So I decided to drop the class, and it has been such a huge relief! I know it was the right decision--I just don't know what took me so long to make it. So usually I really dread summers--so hot, the kids are all home stuck inside, bored all day, week after week... But now I feel free. I'm so relieved that I don't have to be gone that I am looking forward to summer, and enjoying every minute of it (so far). I have a whole different (much better) perspective on summer. I don't know why it is such a constant battle for me to put my family first when it comes to school. My family is my first priority, always. But sometimes I get caught up in what everyone else is doing, and what is convenient, and forget that I always need to put my family first. I know I'm doing the right thing by going to school right now, but I know that I can't lose sight of what is most important. Days go by. Kids grow. I know they won't be young forever. I can hardly believe that Charlie is starting high school. Four more years, and he'll probably be leaving home for school, then his mission. Four years!! When I think how fast the last four years have flown, I want to cry! But instead, I commit to be there for him (and all of them) when they need me. I will be there for the important moments. I will be there for the every day moments. I will be there for my kids, and I feel so blessed that I can be. I know what a tremendous blessing it is that I have a choice, and I can be there for my kids. I just need to always make the right choice because days go by...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love this post! I'm glad you found the right answer for your family. I, too, feel like I am constantly balancing the schedule against what my kids need.
Post a Comment