Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Embracing the Gray

I remember when I was a young woman saying that I would never dye my hair.  "When it is time to go gray, I will go gray," I said.  When I was 33 and had too many gray hairs to pluck out, I changed my mind and started coloring my hair it's "natural" color.  Now I am 35 and still have too many gray hairs to pluck out, but I am tired of hiding from the inevitable.  Once you start dying your hair, there is no good time to let it go gray.  So I want to just let it go gray naturally, at whatever pace it decides to, while I'm still at a point where the transition won't be such a noticeable process.  I still think I'm too young to have gray hair, but then again, I am what I am.  So I am going to try to just let my natural hair grow out, grays and all.  I guess I thought if I posted about this, I'd be more likely to follow through, so we'll see.  If you see some gray hairs, do not be alarmed because I am now embracing the gray.

7 comments:

Heather said...

My mom always said she "earned" every gray hair that she got! It sure is a lot cheaper too! And I'm one to know! :)

Crissie said...

You go girl!! I'm too the point that I can't pluck all my gray hairs anymore, so I'm seriously considering coloring it but I'm a little nervous about it because I've never done it before. I think I'll wait until July so I can say that I didn't ever color my hair until I was 40. :) I'm just not ready to go gray but I admire you for embracing it. :) I guess I get it from my mom. She is 66 and still colors her hair.

Anonymous said...

You're beautiful...gray hair or not.
Your hubby

Debbie said...

You are very brave to just let nature do it's thing.

I'm not that brave yet.

Smith Family said...

Oh Cherene, I have been battling with this for ten years now. I actually started going gray in my late 20's. I've thought about going gray many times. I finally decided, after I turn 40. (Next year). There's nothing wrong with being gray!

Rachel M said...

I remember when Shawna Wilcock tried to grow out her grays! You are brave! I refuse to go gray and will faithfully get my hair colored for who knows how long! Can't wait to see pictures...

Mrs.EBG said...

Cherene I totally go through this same debate with myself every 4-6 weeks when I notice my roots again! And I'm only 28! Totally love that you are embracing the gray! I'm sure you'll look great no matter what!