Friday, July 1, 2011

The Best Summer Ever

This summer is flying by, and so far it has been the best summer ever!  I think the main thing that has made this summer so great is my state of mind and perspective.  Last summer, I was stressed, feeling down, and anxious.  The kids seemed to fight non-stop, and I felt miserable.  This summer, I feel mentally healthy and happy, the kids have gotten along great, and instead of dreading summer like I usually do, I have been so grateful to be able to be home with the kids every day.  Having a break from school, and having time to reconnect with my friends, and do fun stuff with the kids has been so great!  Spending time with my good friends has made me so happy.  I have had so many great conversations that help me to appreciate my life, and to be happy.  I have loved being able to do whatever the kids want to do.  Swimming, movies, play dates with friends...whatever they want.  Charlie has been busy with basketball the whole month of June.  Skyline has been doing summer camps and tournaments that have taken up a lot of his time and energy--which is great!  He loves basketball, and it gives him a positive outlet for his energy.  And he keeps growing like a weed!!  Charlie is 6'3" now.  I have always predicted that he'll end up 6'4"  (Chuck thinks 6'6"), so we'll see.  Charlie and Carson flew to FL this week to spend some time with my sister and their cousins.  Charlie will go to EFY with his cousin, Madeline, and Carson will hang out with the cousins, swimming, boating, and being spoiled rotten by my sister.  :)  They got there Tues night, and they have gone to amusement parks every day since then.  Wed: Magic Kingdom, Thurs: Islands of Adventure (they got to see the Harry Potter world and ride the Harry Potter ride there), and today Universal Studios. Dina knows how to show kids a good time!  They are lucky they have such a generous Aunt, huh?  She has 6 kids of her own, but she still manages to treat my kids like royalty when they visit.  :)  Anyway, then we are gearing up for a trip to New York.  My mom's summer home in the Catskill mountains is where I spent every summer of my childhood, so it is so great to be able to take my kids there (and get out of the heat!)  I just feel really grateful and happy for all the blessings in my life right now, and I guess I just wanted to share.  I usually hate summers, and feel envious of Chuck getting to go to work every day while I stay home cooped up with the kids, playing referee.  This summer, I feel sorry for Chuck, having to go to work every day while we get to stay home and have fun.  Funny how it's the same situation, but a change in perspective makes all the difference in the world!  

1 comment:

Smith Family said...

I have had a very similar experience this summer. Enjoy NY!